Re: [OFFTOPIC] Tomcat and j2sdk1.3

> > this is due to the use of native threads by default in jdk1.3, which in
> > linux are spawn as processess... so, everything's still fine :-)
> >
> Well, I thought _native_ threads are implemented as threads ;), not
> processes. Isn't it less effective this way ? Forking is
> time-expensive...

within native threads the fork mechanism is not used.
rather clone is utilized to grant access to parts of the
execution context to the child process. so clone(..)-ing
in terms of threads meens nothing else then allocating
a new process control block and a stackframe since there
is no need to copy parent process pages, cause all
threads are allowed (and have) to operate on the same copy.

man clone

-therp