guidelines for making Java software easy to package for debian?

Packaging Debian software for Java is still somewhat confusing for me,
and policy seems to be in flux.  Perhaps it would be a better strategy
for me to make BRL and Kawa trivial to package for someone experienced,
and then get a current debian developer to adopt them.

Some standard would be helpful to assist in debian packaging, e.g.
standard configure directives to specify repository vs. jar place, or
standard install targets.  What would make it easy?

--
Bruce R. Lewis				http://brl.sourceforge.net/