Re: Latest version of the Debian/JAVA FAQ

Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@ieeesb.etsit.upm.es> writes:

> Resumen
> -------
> Nota de Copyright
> -----------------
> Contenidos
> ----------

Wrong language ...  (Liekwise the dete at the end.)

>         * `gcj'. Compiles Java source to native code.

also source to bytecode, or bytecode to native code.

>      You might not be able to use gcj since it fails on many Java
>      constructs, so you cannot compile the program directly.

This may be out-of-date.  If the gcj in cvs fails on valid Java code
(except due to lack of libraries), then it is now a bug, rather than
unimplemented.  At least that is my impression, after Alex Petit-Bianco
has checked in support for Inner classes.

>      `gcj' does not support JNI, and in previous inquiries to Cygnus, we
>      did not get get the impression that JNI is a priority. IIRC Tom Tromey
>      said that JNI could be implemented on top of CNI, and that outside
>      contributors are welcome to add it.

I believe Tom is now actually working on JNI.

- and I'm working on Emacs in Java ...  See http://jemacs.sourceforge.net/

>         * Netbeans developer. Based on the Javabeans architecture. See
>           http://www.netbeans.com

This is now called "Forte", and Sun recently announced they would
open-source it.  See http://www.sun.com/forte/tools4dotcom/opensource.html
--
	--Per Bothner