Re: New version of the Debian-java FAQ

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 18:40, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

> 	Feel free to send me any comments/suggestion ... *however* I hope
> that when a final 1.0 version of the FAQ is available somebody on the
> debian-java mailing lists adopts the FAQ since I will probably not be able
> to keep it up to date.

:%s/yikes/jikes/g

> 1.4.7. Appletviewer tool
> ------------------------
>
>      Kaffee comes with one.

Blackdown, and ibm jdk do too.  I don't know if the ibm appeltviewer
works.

> 1.4.10. EJB
> -----------
>
>      There is activity in this area, the most noteworthy being the Open
>      Source EJB implementation from Bull in France called Jonas. I have
>      done some work with this system and it provides a good start towards a
>      full EJB feature set. In particular, it provides a transaction monitor
>      and a container based persistance implementation. I have used this
>      system on Linux with free databases such as Postgresql. I have not
>      been able to get the system fully operational on Kaffe. Additionally,
>      the system depends on many Sun APIs which have not been cloned (JTA,
>      JNDI, and EJB itself).

Enterprise Java Beans?  URL for Jonas?

> 2.2. What free platforms are there and how can I contribute?
>      Please help one of the Free Java implementations if you want to use
>      Java in Debian. There are a lot of projects that you can choose from:
>
>         * classpath: http://www.classpath.org. An alternative to jdk's 1.2
>           core classes.

>         * Classpath http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/. Most of the
>           Standard classes for Java 1.2 (except Swing and RMI) are
>           implemented by the ClassPath project

Pointers to the same project.

> 4.1. What jvms work in Debian?
> ------------------------------
>
>      Currently only Sun's jdk. (But, for simple programs such as the ones
>      used for teaching, the free kaffe VM may be enough. Another solution
>      is to use gcj and to compile to native code, thus solving the VM
>      problem.)

The ibm jdk is a complete working version.

> 5.1.2. Debian 2.2 'potato'
> --------------------------
>
>         * `fastjar' a complete replacement for the jar utility written in C
>           under the GPL http://www.engr.orst.edu/~burnsbr/fastjar/ (check
>           http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-j
>           ava-9908/msg00015.html

Potato includes a lot of libraries:

  lib-dom-java
  lib-fop-java
  lib-gnu.getopt-java
  lib-gnu.regexp-java
  lib-openxml-java
  lib-rxtx-java
  lib-sax-java
  lib-xp-java
  lib-xslp-java
  lib-xt-java

>         * `ibm-jdk1.1'. Installer for IBM Developer Kit for Linux, Java(TM)
>           Technology Edition This is an alpha version 1.1.6 of the IBM
>           Developer Kit. The IBM Developer Kit is a development environment
>           for writing applets and applications that conform to the Java 1.1
>           Core API. Its compiler and other tools are run from a shell and
>           have no GUI interface. . The IBM Developer Kit includes the IBM
>           JIT (libjitc.so) which is used by all tools by default. Look for
>           it in http://master.debian.org/~doko. Needs to be upgraded to
>           1.1.8. However it seems that providing an installer might break
>           their license (see section 2.4, `IBM's jdk1.1')

The installer in potato installs the 1.1.8 version not 1.1.6.  It
depends on glibc-2.1 and Linux-2.2 IIRC.

>         * `jdk1.2-installer'. Look for it in
>           http://www.pobox.com/~julio/debian/jdk1.2-installer/.

Blackdown pre-release installer.  Needs a little work to install
release candidate version.

> 6.1. How can I make Java servlets work?
> ---------------------------------------
>      You can use:
>
>         * GNUJSP
>
>         * Apache Jserv

Not yet packaged for debian (hopefully soon)
- tomcat from <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/>
- jigsaw from <http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/>

HTH,
Remco

--
Bakunin IRT arrangements van Balen FBI cartel Kosovo VX serbian
SIGINT UCK Lebed colonel Noriega benzene AKSO PLO Patijn smuggle