Re: Java question

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 05:37:34PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> If I write some software and want to execute it in
> netscape/mozilla/whatever, do I have to install the complete .jar file on
> the client? Or does the web server server the jar file and it is completely
> transfered to the client? Or does the client only receive the classes it
> really needs?

Do you mean that you wrote an applet? Or an application?
What Java version did you use?
Make sure you run your applet on all platforms and browsers you can put your
hands on - they are not completely compatible.

If it is an applet then browser will download the entire .jar (or .zip) file.
If instead of .jar you put the whole tree of .class files on a website,
than only needed classes will be downloaded, but it is MUCH slower to make many
connections then to make one and get everything.

> If the complete tree is send, this would mean I can only run small apps
> through the internet. Right?

Usually applets are small, but there are exceptions.
Currently I am working on a project that will have a .jar of about 1MB.
This is basically an application but we decided to make it an applet to
simplify distribution of bugfixes to the clients.

Luck,

Alex Y.
--
   _