Re: Free Java : is native code the way?

> I always thought the missing link for free Java was the lack of a free
> standard Java library implementation (hence projects like
> www.classpath.org); is that problem addressed now?

To my understanding gcj has it's own libgcj, which has to duplicate
all Classpath effortsndue to CNI. Pure Java could be shared between
both projects, but as long as gcj does not support JNI, the native
code can not be shared. The core classes (in particular AWT) depend
on these native components. Different clean-room implementations might
have made different choices on which methods are native (e.g. Kaffe's
lightweight AWT).

                                                           b.

--

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure,
  and we are born to it."      Thomas Harris, Silence of the Lambs