Java on linux questions

Next week my MSc's java course is starting, and I'd like to do it under
linux if at all possible. So my main question is: What is the state of java
under linux? I don't believe we'll be doing anything exceptionally complex
(the final program for the course will be a simple drawing program AFAIK).
I'd like to go the free route if possible. Are jikes and kaffe a good
combo?

Also, I noticed that IBM have released their JDK for linux. Is it worth the
10meg download? Apart from the compiler and VM, what else is included? Does
it use Motif (which I don't particularly like - Netscrape has put me off
that)? If so is it static or dynamically linked (ie do I have to own
Motif)?

A lot of questions there, and I'd really appreciate some answers :)

Cheers
    Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.1 on Linux i386 2.2.11
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request