A packaging scheme...

Here is an idea that I just wanted to kick around... Perhaps it could
be part of a java policy.

One of the irritating things about the Java packaging scheme is that you
get this functional disassociation because of the organizational boundries.

In other words, you have:

net.novare.ExpiringHashtable
co.uk.perdues.aserve.AServe
com.ibm.XMLThingy

etc.

So, classes are spread out williy nilly all over this tree. There have
been a number of efforts to bring things together but all of them are
still organizational. I wonder if it might be better to organize things
by license rather than organization in a unified code library.

ie.

Instead of org.gnu.regex.Regex you might have lgpl.regex.Regex. The
nice thing being that you wouldn't see anything in lgpl.* linking in
something from gpl.*, because that would break the license. There are
some disadvantages, obviously, but the process of linking is tightly
coupled with copyright licenses and is also less politically charged
than organizational attributions. This way, when someone takes over a
piece of code perhaps they will feel less inclined to completely change
the package the code lives in to their specific organization.

Ean Schuessler                Director of Strategic Weapons Systems
Novare International Inc.        A Devices that Kill People company
--- Some or all of the above signature may be a joke