Re: Versions for java-virtual-machine

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 11:24:35PM -0500, Ean R . Schuessler wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 11:11:43PM -0300, Julio wrote:
> > Can a virtual package have a version (to be set by a 'real' package that implements it)? If so, it'd be useful to have java-virtual-machine packages to set their jdk-compliance versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.2) when installing (or being set by update-alternatives), since it's better to bind some packages on virtual machines of specific versions.
>
> I agree with this concept as well.
>
> also. can we make it "jvm", instead of "java-virtual-machine"?
>
> jvm-sun-1.1
> jvm-sun-1.2
> jvm-iso-?
>
> It would probably be prudent to eliminate the word "java" from every
> Debian package name, description, etc. since it is a trademark first and
> a language second.

FWIW, I like the idea too. :) The netscape package situation was a mess, and
the virtual packages helps out immensly. I would like to know which packages
are needed to do java developement versus java runtime -- and the virtual
packages did a slick enough job with a similar problem and netscape. :)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!