Re: Debian Java outlook/ Re: kaffe orphaned?

On Thursday 9 September 1999, at 12 h 21, the keyboard of Bernd Kreimeier
<bk@gamers.org> wrote:

>    - defining a Java equivalent to libc
>       (collection of utility classes shared among Java "binaries")

Isn't it java.lang.* ?

>    - a free compiler to convert pure Java source or "binaries"
>       to C or native binaries competitively (size, overhead)

It exists in Debian: gcj.

> I somewhat think we should decide on how we see Java used
> in Debian first, before defining a policy.

I disagree. Otherwise, this would be a good way to postpone the release of a
policy indefinitely.

> a native Linux environment. Just piling up more *.deb packages
> won't solve this.

Piling up more policy-compliant *.deb packages will help building the first
layers of a nice Java environment.