Re: kaffe orphaned?

I noticed your NMU a while back and regret that I haven't had time to
contact you. I must say, firstly, that I am quite annoyed that you
felt compelled to make a NMU upload without first contacting me. While I
have perhaps not been optimally responsive I believe that I have kept my
kaffe installs fairly current. I recently fielded a number of other bug
complaints against my 1.0.b4 release that turned out to be operator error.

Furthermore, your version number "1.0.b4-19990804" is considerably larger
than my recent upload of "1.0.b4-2". Thanks to your erroneous upload, I
will be forced to go to a "1:1.0.b4-3" or "1.0.b4.1-1" convention, which
sucks.

So, before you decide to go fixing the situation any further try
communicating a little.

By the way, just to let you know. I am actively tracking the Kaffe
development and have built packages against both the "jit3" overhaul
that Tim is working on as well as examining the impact of the as yet
unreleased pthread improvements. I have not uploaded these to potato
because I didn't see that they represented an improvement in stability
over the 1.0b4 release.

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 12:57:37PM -0400, Mike Goldman wrote:
> I've noticed that a lot of bugs filed against kaffe have remained open for a
> long time.  If you'd like, I'd be glad to adopt kaffe.  I maintain jikes,
> which is now available in main, but if users are practically required to use
> jdk then jikes would have to be moved to contrib (as jdk is non-free).
> Thus, I'm very concerned to ensure that Debian has a complete working free
> Java implementation, including both compiler and virtual machine.
>
> Please take note that I did an NMU some time back, replacing kaffe with a b4
> snapshop as the b3 would crash immediately on startup (at least on potato).

Ean Schuessler                Director of Strategic Weapons Systems
Novare International Inc.        A Devices that Kill People company
--- Some or all of the above signature may be a joke