Re: Japanese keyboard: Yen and closing bracket.

Le Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 12:10:38AM +0530, Prem Setu a écrit :

>    Hi
>    in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I have mannually changed from
>           Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>           Option          "XkbModel"      "jp106"
>    Now, I can enter "]".
>    About "yen", unless I am not using SJIS encoding, it became back slash.
>    ------
>    Section "InputDevice"
>            Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>            Driver          "kbd"
>            Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>            Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>    #       Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>            Option          "XkbModel"      "jp106"
>            Option          "XkbLayout"     "jp"
>            Option          "XkbVariant"    "jp106"
>    EndSection

So the current summary of the situation is that setting the layout as
"jp" with no additional information leaves the "yen" and "]" keys
broken, whereas specifying the model and the variant to jp106 rescues
the "]" key.

On commande line:

setxkbmap -layout "jp"                                     # Is not enough
setxkbmap -layout "jp" -model "jp106" -variant "jp106"     # Rescues "]"
setxkbmap -layout "jp"                                     # The rescue is not lost!

I will determine if it is necessary to specify model and variant at the
same time, or if one is dispensable. Strangely, when I change the layout
in command line, the rescue is permanent, so I will need to restart the
X server a few times, for which I do not have enough time now...

What did you meand by "using SJIS encoding" ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org