Re: dist-upgrade mangled kinput2

Up until two days ago I had Japanese fonts working perfectly. After
doing a apt-get dist-upgrade, i was still able to enter hiragana but I
was no longer able to see Kanji when i used the space bar for Kanji
conversion. I'm running Debian 3.x Unstable with a 2.6.6. kernel. I'm
using the packages:
kinput2-canna version 3.1-4
canna         version 3.7p3-1
kinput2-common version 3.1-4
etc... (sorry, but i don't have the versions before the upgrade)

When I use the command "kinput2 -xim -canna" from the command line I
get the following error message:

Warning: Cannot convert string "-ricoh-ms
mincho-medium-r-normal-*-*-160-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-ricoh-ms
mincho-medium-r-normal-*-*-160-*-*-c-*-jisx0208.1983-0" to type
Warning: Cannot convert string "-ricoh-ms
mincho-medium-r-normal-*-*-160-*-*-c-*-jisx0201.1976-0" to type

when for instance I enter "nihongo" and try to convert it to Kanji, I
get the following options "s\ |\ K[s K[s" instead of Kanji. That's
pretty much the case for any hiragana I enter. The options come out as

this is my locales.gen file:

I'm pretty sure I have all the variables set up correctly because I
can enter hiragana with no problem, and can still conver to Kanji. The
only issue is that I can't see the options being presented, so i can't
tell which Kanji is being selected until i've pressed enter.

I apologize if i've left out any critical information, I thought about
posting part of an strace but thought that might be overkill. Its late
and i've been googling for hours. I'm at my wits end.

Any help would be appreciate. Thanks in advance.