Re: Newbie questions...

Question A: Writing web pages:

Basically, you tell mule what encoding to save the file, and then set
the meta line in the HTML header accordingly. For example:

  meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=shift-jis"

[I've stripped the angle brackets in deference to folks who use
HTML-aware mail readers.]

I suggest using euc-jp on the recommendations the O'Reilly book on the
subject, and the fact that Asahi Shinbun uses it. If you're really
interested in how this stuff works, check out Understanding Japanese
Information Processing by Ken Lunde (or the new book, CJKV Information
Processing).

  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ujip/
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cjkvinfo/

Here's a trivial example I wrote:
  http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/russell/kana.html

Also look at the source for Asahi's pages. They have pretty clean
HTML, and their header and stylesheet is really simple.

Question B: Print Japanese text:

I've struggled with this for a while now, and the best answer I can
give is, sadly, print from a Mac or from Windows. I know it can be
done, but I don't know what tortuous things must be done with
ghostscript filters to make it work.

You may be able to get around torturing ghostscript if you have a
printer that can be upgraded. Older HP laser printers (and new ones, I
assume) have a little cartridge that contains fonts. If you install a
cartridge that has the fonts you need, you should be able to print
fine. Check eBay.

If anyone has a better answer, I'd be very, very interested to learn
how you did it.

Question C: Japanese in a terminal:

This one, at least, has an easy answer.

  apt-get install kterm