Re: multi-language debian

On sid, using kinput with canna, I use the GNOME environment.

Using the <shift-space> I can input 日本語 quite happily. Although I don't know japanese much at all yet, it is gratifying that most gnome applications provide quite usable support.

The default configuration through set-language-env is EUC (Extended Unix Code). Mozilla for mail, you can apply a UTF encoding (like this email) and it will quite happily send the data in a form that is mostly readable for non-unix browsers. vi+gnome-terminal work a treat and handle the double width characters fine.

Openoffice is a nice alternative the input works nicely... Once you set up the font.

If you make an openoffice document, you can print to pdf which works nicely and cross platform. Mind you I did play with docbook in japanese for a while, but couldn't get it to reliably go from docbook to pdf and maintain the kanji and hiragana characters. But openoffice does it nicely, so that is solved.

Any other questions, drop me a line.

Regards,

Matthew

Pied Axioplase wrote:
Hum, I am using a SID too, and i can manage to input japanese, although i am wondering whether it is possible to input some *anywhere*. I mean, can i input Japanese somewhere else that in my mlterm, such as in xchat or even mozilla? Because i feel tired to copy/paste everytime i have to write in Japanese. And moreover, whenever i input some, i have to have my text SJIS so that windows users can read it.
Did i misconfigured my system?
As a student in Japanese, i d really like to be able to input/show/print Japanese easily.

reguards,

Pied.

Linux 2.4.20
Kinput2 and canna
and a big dirty mix of utf8/SJIS/ja_JP.eucJP in my locales and env :/