Re: iso-2022-jp in sylpheed

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002 22:19:24 +0900 (JST)
Tomohiro KUBOTA <debian@tmail.plala.or.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <taw@users.sf.net>
> Subject: Re: iso-2022-jp in sylpheed
> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:05:16 +0100
>
> > Or to be more exact Americans. Most of Europe uses something other
> > than ISO-8895-1, and ASCII isn't used at all here.
>
> Well, right.  Recently most of Europeans had to migrate from
> ISO-8859-1 to ISO-8859-15 because of introduction of Euro which
> reminded Europeans about necessity of internationalization.  However,
> I sometimes feel that European-language speakers (i.e., Europeans,
> Americans, and other European-language-speaking countries residents),
> even people who are working in i18n field, tend to drop east Asians
> which need large number of characters.  However, east Asian people
> have been using such many characters for several tens of years with
> computers, which proves that the recent(or even ten-year-old) PCs have
> enough power to handle such many characters.

I agree with, i don't such an optimisation is needless, and i really
dislike this of discrimination.
I'm french, and having trouble to set my linux to a good french speaking
one... for example i'm having problems with gtk1.2 & french accents
( ^ & ¨ ), and now i'm trying to make my box working with french &
Japanese, and it causes me really much problems. Because i have to set
my system to work with utf-8 & kinput2, but most applications do not
support those;
But well, i'm happy with gtk2/gnome2 (with xft) which makes things
easier. And i'm expecting a lot from the IIIMF input method too ^^

> Sorry, this is just a grumble....

You can, i think it would be really great if gnu/linux (or
at least debian) could finally say: We are the best choice for i18n
internationalisation.

Julien