Re: Japanese locale configuration

Hi,

Thank you for pointing out my miss understand. > KUBOTA san

;; and So Sorry for my strange "a like sentence", it is completely
;; broken. It is not english, also not Japanese. ((-;

> On September 27, 2002 at 11:32AM +0900,
> Shinichiro HIDA <shinichiro@stained-g.net> wrote:

> > I use jfbterm(to replace kon) on my laptop with framebuffer (sid), and
> > emacs21 and wanderlust(MUA). I can read/write japanese character and
> > accented character also easy.

> >        (if (not window-system)
> > 	   (set-terminal-coding-system 'compound-text-unix))

> Great!  This feature works on my emacs20 and mew (MUA) also.

> This feature is independent of the locale configuration.  I can
> use Japanese/Latin-1 characters even if the LANG (or LC_CTYPE,
> LC_ALL) environment variable is set to "C".

I know the probrem about this setting also. (-; Please BE CAREFUL.

Perhaps, when you use "emacs -nw" from rxvt(or the others) on X, or on
kon, or normal console, I could not use emacs any more. If you edit
some files, cause edited files would be broken (not sure, but I did).
Then you must set (set-terminal-coding-system 'euc-japan-unix) for in
case that you do not use jfbterm.

Probably this way is better;

(cond ((>= emacs-major-version 21)
       (if (not (string-match "jfbterm" (getenv "TERM")))
	   (set-terminal-coding-system 'euc-japan-unix)
	 (set-terminal-coding-system 'compound-text-unix))
       [...]
       ))

;; I tested just now, it is looked like working fine... And If someone
;; know more better way, please point out. Thanks.

;; Now, I think emacs21 is the best of emacsen when working on
;; consoles, or on terminals. When I try emacs20.x, eshell is not
;; working fine etc...

Have a fun.

--
Shinichiro HIDA