Re: Japanese locale configuration (was: debian-jp)

Hi,

At Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:32:27 +0900,
Shinichiro HIDA wrote:

> I use jfbterm(to replace kon) on my laptop with framebuffer (sid), and
> emacs21 and wanderlust(MUA). I can read/write japanese character and
> accented character also easy.

Additional comments.

Unlike kon (Japanese console), jfbterm is a multilingual console and
can display both of Japanese characters and ISO-8859-1 characters at
the same time.  (These characters must be encoded in ISO-2022, otherwise
jfbterm has no method to distinguish Japanese and ISO-8859-1....
Please remember how character codes are constructed).

> In my ~/.emacs
>
> (cond ((>= emacs-major-version 21)
>        (if (not window-system)
> 	   (set-terminal-coding-system 'compound-text-unix))))

Emacs is one of softwares which supports ISO-2022-based multilingual
displaying.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/