Re: IIIMF

On 21 Aug 2002 01:10:28 +0900
marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp wrote:

>     > I'm not a developper, but i will try this regularly to give
>     > feedbacks and make things run better.  For now i'm using
>     > gtk2&gnome2 with japanese locale...
>
> By the way, what fonts are you using for gnome2?  Are you using it
> antialiased?  With regular fonts, I can get japanese showing properly,
> but when it's antialiased, I can't.  Any ideas?

Well, i was able to solve that problem.

Gnome2 with AntiAliased (AA) fonts uses XFT and so, you cannot use the
bitmap fonts (like biwitdh, unifont and so on). The only utf-8 truetype
font I could find with japanese characters is the Bitstream Cyberbit,
it's not quite easy to get it because of a licence. But a google search
with "netscape bitstream cyberbit" should help you to find it.

Next, you have 2 solutions : you set in preferences to use the Cyberbit
font. Or you create (or modify) you ~/.xftconfig and include something
like that in it :

---
match
	any family == "Sans"
edit
	family += "Nimbus Roman no9 l";
	family =+ "Bitstream Cyberbit";
---

The idea here is to modify the way the Sans font is used, first you
define it to use the characters set "Nimub Roman no9 l" and then to add
the missing characters set from "Bitstream Cyberbit", of course you can
add some more characters sets the same way, and take another font
instead of the "Nimbus Roman", let's say Augie for example ^^

I did make my changes directly in /etc/X11/XftConfig , i give you a copy
of it , it contains some nice tricks to get a nice desktop ^^

---
# $XFree86: xc/lib/Xft/XftConfig.cpp,v 1.5 2000/12/14 23:03:53 keithp
# Exp $

dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
dir "/usr/share/fonts/type1"

# alias 'fixed' for 'mono'
match any family == "fixed"			edit family =+ "mono";
match any family == "console"			edit family =+ "mono";

match
	any family == "Sans"
edit
	family += "Nimbus Roman no9 l";
	family =+ "Bitstream Cyberbit";

# Check for users config file
includeif	"~/.xftconfig"

# Substitute TT fonts for Type1 versions.
match any family == "Times"			edit family += "Times New Roman";
match any family == "Helvetica"			edit family += "Verdana";
match any family == "Courier"			edit family += "Courier New";

# Une monotype.com (andale) face where possible
match
	any family == "mono"
	all slant == roman
	all weight < bold
edit
	family += "monotype.com";

# Otherwise, use courier
# Alias between XLFD families and font file family name, prefer local
# fonts
match any family == "charter"		edit family += "bitstream charter";
match any family == "bitstream charter"	edit family =+ "charter";

match any family == "Lucidux Serif"     edit family += "LuciduxSerif";
match any family == "LuciduxSerif"      edit family =+ "Lucidux Serif";

match any family == "Lucidux Sans"      edit family += "LuciduxSans";
match any family == "LuciduxSans"       edit family =+ "Lucidux Sans";

match any family == "Lucidux Mono"      edit family += "LuciduxMono";
match any family == "LuciduxMono"       edit family =+ "Lucidux Mono";

# TT fonts aliases
match any family == "Comic Sans"        edit family += "Comic Sans MS";
match any family == "Comic Sans MS"     edit family =+ "Comic Sans";
match any family == "Trebuchet"         edit family += "Trebuchet MS";
match any family == "Trebuchet MS"      edit family =+ "Trebuchet";
match any family == "Monotype"          edit family =+ "Monotype.com";
match any family == "Andale Mono"       edit family += "Monotype.com";
match any family == "Monotype.com"      edit family =+ "Andale Mono";
---

hope it helps,
Julien