Re: Why is Printing Broken? was Re: Howto set-up debian woody for Japanese

James Miller wrote:
> [..]

> However, has anyone else had trouble with printing lately?

Several upgrades ago Japanese printing stopped working on my
system. I like printing with the MS (Win95J) Japanese truetype
fonts.

After trying all sorts of things with the standard (including
'testing') Debian packages, I could get it back only by
installing gs-aladdin-vflib_5.10-7.2.deb which can still be found
in a few places on the Web. I could not get any later versions to
work. Even 5.10-7.2 required some hand-symlinking of fonts (the
Western ones, not the Japanese ones). Japanese printing must be
considered broken on Debian at this moment.

Of course there is always B.H.Far's great website which gives
instructions to roll your own Japanese-capable ghostscript:

<http://www.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/far/howto/gs-vflib.html>

I used his methods successfully a few times in the past. But this
is not 'standard Debian'.

Regards, Jan