Re: Why is Printing Broken? was Re: Howto set-up debian woody for Japanese

Steve Kennedy wrote:

> No, it doesn't work on mine either. I tried to get it to work a
> while ago, and assumed my problems were linked to my
> difficulties in getting xfs-xtt to work (still unresolved). My
> old S3 video card is not supported by the XFree84 v.4, so I have
> to use xserver-s3 3.3.6-44 plus xfs-xtt instead. I figured if
> you were using XFree86 v.4 with built-in truetype support you
> may have more luck!

This is true. I have an nVidia card which works with X version 4.
X4 (a.k.a. xserver-xfree86) does not need xfs-xtt or any other
font server. By the way there used to be (in the Debian-JP
project) an X version 3 server with built-in truetype support,
called xserver-xtt-svga, which I used in the past. I do not know
if something like that still exists for X version 3.3.6.

To set up X4 properly, one has to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-
xfree86. This tells you that there are basically two options for
truetype display: freetype and xtt. It says that freetype will do
antialiasing and not display Japanese fonts; while with xtt it is
the opposite: Asian display, but no antialiasing. This is untrue.
By all means choose freetype; it will display Japanese fonts just
fine, with antialiasing (this needs some further tuning in
Openoffice and Mozilla). xtt should be avoided because you cannot
run Openoffice with it (unless you use a font server, which causes
other problems).

> From what I can tell, defoma just makes handling fonts under X
> more complicated.

This is my impression also. A big problem with defoma is that all
its docs are aimed at developers, not users.

> It would be nice to be able dump all fonts into one location
> (like on a Windows or Mac) and programs would just see and use
> them as needed.

That would be very nice.. but is probably not very easy. BTW I
*can* print Japanese now, as I said by installing an old version
of gs-aladdin-vflib. I have also solved (more or less) my other
problems: keyboard input of Japanese, keyboard input of European
accents, antialiased display of European and Japanese characters,
and of course printing of all this, both in Openoffice and in
Mozilla. But I had to stray off the Debian Way a bit to do this.
Maybe there is a Debian Way to achieve all this. My solutions, in
the meantime, are in
<http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/~jws/ooprob.html#solutions>
also a bit about input in
<http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/~jws/jpico.html> (towards the end).
This is of course experimental.

I am now going to uninstall defoma. Will report on results..

Regards, Jan