Re: Japanese input in kon2

Hi,

At Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:16:01 -0200,
Leonardo F. S. Boiko <leoboiko@linuxbr.com.br> wrote:

> Greetings. By reading the archive of this list, I've been able to set
> up Japanese input under X, and I'm very glad with that. But now I want
> to write with jvim-canna in kon2 too.
>
> To input Japanese under kinput2 I need to press control-Kanji, but my
> keyboard don't have a Kanji key! Fortunately, I can run
>  xmodmap -e 'keycode 115 = Kanji'
> to change that useless Windows key in a Kanji key. However, I don't know
> how to do this in the console.
>
> Are there kon and jvim-canna users out there who can help me?

You may be confusing several layers of Japanese inputing system.

At first, kinput2 is only used in X Window System.  Since XIM
Protocol is available as a standardized protocol for complex
language input, you can use any X softwares which support XIM
or any console softwares which support multibyte encoding inside
XIM-supported terminal emulators.  Thus, console-based softwares
don't need special input support if you use it inside XIM-supported
terminal emulators.

On the other hand, there are no standards for complex language
input in console environment.  Thus, you have to use softwares
which can directly handle Canna or Wnn protocol, like jvim-canna.
However, I don't know how to use jvim-canna with canna.  There
are another editor nvi-m17n-canna which can use canna directly.
You can also use emacs20-dl with emacs-dl-canna.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/