Re: kinput2 and gtk application

Hi,

At Sat, 6 Oct 2001 01:02:16 +0200,
Stephan Seitz <stse@fsing.uni-sb.de> wrote:

> - I would like to use XIM without setting LANG to a Japanese locale.
>   This works with yudit, gjiten, and kterm, but not with xterm, gvim,
>   and mozilla.  Alas, mozilla (0.9.4) seems to have some problems with
>   UTF8 sites showing even latin1 text with some ugly fonts, that I can
>   change in the Japanese font section of mozilla. All looks well if I
>   use my standard locale (de_DE), and yes, the site has the correct
>   charset header.

You need to set Japanese locale to use XIM.
kinput2 supports not only XIM protocol but also Kinput2 protocol.
yudit supports Kinput2 protocol only.  kterm supports both of
XIM and Kinput2 protocols.  Thus, the reason why you can use
yudit and kterm with kinput2 is that they use Kinput2 protocol,
not XIM protocol.  IMO, Kinput2 protocol is obsolete because it
is Japanese-only protocol.

There is a new multilingual inputting protocol IIIMF
http://www.li18nux.net/subgroups/im/IIIMF/index.html
but I don't know what this is.

> - Since I need UTF8-TeX I tried gvim (6.0.011-3) with ja_JP.UTF8, but
>   gvim produces a segmentation fault if I try to insert something in
>   XIM mode. vim in an UTF8 xterm with ja_JP.UTF8 works fine.

I imagine this is because XFree86 does not have good UTF-8 support yet.
If you need Japanese, please use ja_JP.eucJP locale.   Use iconv to
convert the text from EUC-JP to UTF-8.

> - I use Dominique Unruh's UTF8 style for LaTeX without trouble but I
>   can't compile characters with more than 7bit in the \chapter name,
>   no matter which document style I use. It works in \section and
>   \subsection.

Sorry, I don't know...

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>