Re: Japanese on console

Hi,

At Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:18:09 +0530,
Vikram <aragorn@infofin.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I am able to type Japanese kana, and convert them to kanji in X.
>   The editors I use is jed, which interfaces well with canna, and
>   kinput2 to type meaningful Japanese in X. I have the required fonts
>   for X to show Japanese characters.
>
>   My question is, Is there any way to get Japanese support on the
>   console?

Install kon (for normal console) or jfbterm (for framebuffer console)
package to display Japanese.

For input, unfortunately, there are no standard like XIM in X Window
environment.  You can use emacs, nvi-m17n-canna, and so on which can
input Japanese.  Please read /usr/share/doc/language-env/README.ja.en
for detail.  (The document is included in language-env package.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/