Re: japanese environment problems

> Well, I wanted to know the package version of user-ja.
> Please try dpkg -s user-ja.

version is 0.06

> Though I don't know what version of user-ja you are using, recent user-ja
> (language-env) uses ^k as toggling key.  And more, "vi" or "nvi" may be
> an alias to change $NEXINIT.  All of them depend on the version of user-ja.

i tried ^k as well but it works neither as root nor as user.

> Problems have to divided into two parts:  First, how lynx and so on can
> recognize the encoding of the documents?  Next, what encoding lynx and
> so on should use to display the documents?  In HTML, encoding of documents
> are given by the header.  Encoding for terminal/console should be determined
> by LC_CTYPE locale but so far no terminals are locale-sensible (I am working
> on xterm and rxvt to support locale-sensibility.  Though they are almost
> finished, they are development versions and it will need some time for
> them to get into Debian.)

ok, i'll try to read more about this subject. you definitely got me
interested :-)

> If you are really interested in these problems, I recommend you to
> join development.  (Since most developers who are interested in i18n
> work for X environment, i18n of console is a "Noosphere" to be
> "homesteaded".)  If you are interested in i18n development,
> please read my document "Introduction to I18N"
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/

ok, i browsed cjkv last night once again and the part about programming
languages with special interest. it mentions java perl and python mostly for
their ability to handle cjkv text. these are 3 languages i could try to learn
if i had a project to concentrate on.

now, i thought maybe, to understand better what is at stake i should get a
package source and try to figure out how to i18nze it. i downloaded ee (the
easy editor) source and i tried to look through it. hahaha, a little too
hard. so i though maybe i could try to write a small text editor myself so i
can write in japanese under a console ?

so what do you advise me to go on on this idea (languages, books) or maybe i
should start somewhere else ?

yours,

jean-christophe helary