japanese environment problems

sorry i write in english.

i recently decided to do my best at setting up a japanese environment for my
debian console. i work with debian 2.1 (the 2cd set published a while ago in
linux japan).

i used user-ja-conf on both root and my user account. as root and as user, i
can use emacs and write japanese no problem. i also wanted to use nvi (for
mail editing) but it behaves strangely.

as root, it seems to work ok but as user :

it starts by saying

/home/helary/.nexrc: not sourced: writable by a user other than the owner

after i press [enter] and i want to shift to japanese input mode [^o] it says
^o is not a vi command (although that worked under root). why is that so ?

i don't feel like i need to work under vi. a simple editor like ee (which i
use a default mutt editor) would do as long as it accepts japanese input. is
there any such editor around ?

as a mutt user i find it painful to read the few japanese mails i get through
the [mail] command under kon, is there a way out of this ? plus [mail] does not
seem to accept ^o or ^\ as japanese input method toggling. am i wrong
somewhere ?

another issue i have to tackle is the following : being french (but living
and studying in japan) i do receive mails in both languages and need to
browse the web in both languages as well.

mutt and lynx seem to have the same problem : i had lynx before, i shifted to
lynx-ja, but under kon all the accentuated french turns into mojibake... i
did not install mutt-ja (?) for fear of what would happen to my french mails
:-) do i have to constantly shift in and out of kon to get something out of
both applications ? are there smarter applications that respect the text
encoding on the debian market or did i miss something in the configuration ?

ps : i can not work under x.

thank you for your cooperation.

jean-christophe helary

ps2 : i live in kagawa, takamatsu area and i would love to meet debian users
living here.