Re: Gnome with X4 and libc6 2.2

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 04:26:33AM +1000, Edward Middleton wrote:
> Japanese error messages display correctly in a kterm but when running
> gnome applications all the japanese menus appear grabled and the
> warning message
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
> Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1
> Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0208.1983-0
> Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0201.1976-0
>
> appears.  I have checked the file
>
> /etc/gtk/gtkrc.ja
>
> and I all the specified fonts are installed on the system.
>
> Does anyone have any sugestions?

I had a similar problem recently, which I cleared up by removing a
line frome my gtkrc.ja.  The font in question was a true-type font,
but it also had a space in the name, so I don't know what to fault.  I
tried backslashing the space to no avail.  The offending line was:

      -ricoh-ms mincho-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-jisx0208.1983-0,\

After copying the gtkrc.ja to ~/.gtkrc to avoid fooling with the
system files, I removed that line and now stuff works fine for me
again.  Hope the same helps for you, and hopefully this can help
someone else track down the true source of the problem.  Perhaps in
the mean time my Japanese true type fonts will also magically start
working.  :)

Steve

--
Steven Mueller