Re: Milano / free English help for free software developers

On 31/10/13 11:33, Luca Costantino wrote:
> 2013/10/31 Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au>:
>> Hi all,
> Hi Daniel
>
>> A relative of mine in Milano is a very experienced English teacher
>>
>> He is also a free software (Debian) user
>>
>> I've had some discussion with him about running some kind of weekly or
>> fortnightly session, free of charge, for people in the free software
>> community
> Discussion about what? FOSS or English grammar? Other?

My feeling is it would depend on the English abilities of those who want
to attend.

Group language learning is difficult to manage because everybody has a
different level

For a more formal activity, it could start with 45 minutes of practice
for beginners and then a further 45 minutes for people with more
advanced English and then social activity

Or it could just be something very informal, like watching some video
about free software or computing that happens to be in English, with
some help for beginners (e.g. subtitles, notes about vocabulary)

It could also involve helping people who want to make a perfect CV in
English, help for translators from English to Italian or some other
practical activities.  It just depends on what people need and want.

As he is not a developer, these are the types of things he can
contribute back to the community but obviously it would be a lot less
helpful for those who already use English every day.  I understand there
are plenty of Italians who speak perfect English (many more than English
speakers who speak Italian), particularly in IT, but I've also heard
there are many people who want to learn and practice more and I'm simply
looking to see if there is a way to facilitate that.