Sempre sul logging...

... potrebbe servire a qualcuno.

Ciao.
- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Re: Sorry...
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:28:47 +0100
From: Arthur Korn <arthur@korn.ch>
To: Alessio Re <alessio.re@filmel.it>
Cc: msyslog-dev@core-sdi.com

Hi all.

Alessio Re schrieb:
> ... to bother you with a question that's not strictly pertinent to your
> packaging of msyslog (good job btw!), but I wonder why I get all the kernel
> messages logged to the correct file, but to the active console too. Can't
> sort this out, it happens on at least 4 computers I'm administrating (sid
> installations). It's quite bothering.

I had a hard fight on a firewall console once too, but after
that was happy to be done with it and never looked further into
it. Now I did:

On my 2.4.12 kernel here, the first value of
/proc/sys/kernel/printk is the minimum numeric priority level
which messages need to have to be sent to /dev/console, the
default (last value) is 7 (everything). im_linux(8) claims that
the -c and -C parameters can be used to set this log level.
Well, it doesn't work. echoing the desired log level into
/proc/sys/kernel/printk works perfectly though.

> Pertinent section of conf file:
>
> kern.*                          %classic /var/log/kern.log
>
> Btw, this happens with klogd+syslog-ng too...

You can set the default kernel log level with klogd too AFAIR,
see the manpage.

ciao, 2ri
- --
0 and 1. Now what could be so hard about that?

- --
Alessio Re
http://www.meteobiella.org