Re: Virtual users or system users for a mail server

On Sep 26, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Marc Aymerich <glicerinu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Everybody seems to be configuring their mail server using virtual users instead of the traditional system user approach.
>
> I find system users easy to configure and even more secure, since IMAP and POP3 processes can run under the system user account (of course disabling shell access).
>
> I keep wondering if perhaps I'm missing some interesting advantage of using virtual user accounts?
>
> Anyone like to comment on this?
>
> --
> Marc

My primary motivation to move to virtual users was to support multiple domains without username collisions. After a few scripts were written, I didn’t really see one as easier than the other for day to day use.

Thank you,
Scott Blaydes

Scott Blaydes
sblaydes@netteksolutions.com    /\		"Encrypt all the things"
              325-320-7526      	 	  \/   Encrypted email preferred.
        9508 837D B072 4E0B BDAB FA4D 096E ECF0 D8A2 381E