PPPoE access server

Hello folks,

I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a
single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE.  I expect that I can
then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way
of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate
themselves when they establish their ppp session.

Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server?  The
only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the
good olde modem days.  I was hoping I was missing something pretty
drastic.  Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x?  Perhaps nobody uses
linux as an access server?

Thanks in advance,

C.J.