RE: Help understanding NTP behaviour

> I don't think that this is a Debian-specific issue. In my experience
> WiFi latency is simply too unstable for timing. Plus these router/CPE
> devices are reputed to be less than suitable for use as time servers.

Indeed WiFi is - and almost none of these backhauls are 802.11-based. The majority of these links are Motorola/Orthogon and Redline OFDM gear suitable for transporting TDM voice with a bit of Dragonwave thrown in for fun :) I'm not sure where the router/CPE comment comes from as these are devices installed on towers for providing GPS timing pulse to access points, but I do agree.

> You may also want to ask your question on the comp.protocols.time.ntp
> Usenet news-group or the gatewayed questions@lists.ntp.org mailing
> list.
> These fora will get you in contact with the NTP developers and core
> user
> community.
>
> Please note that you will need to visit
> http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/questions and subscribe prior to posting
> to the mailing list.
>
> Fair warning: The NTP developers are rather FreeBSD-centric and don't
> care
> about package manager integrity; the usual knee-jerk advice is to tell
> you to upgrade to the current ntp-developement release from their
> source
> distribution.

Thanks! Appreciate the heads up :) I will ask the folks over there.

Cheers
---
Ross Halliday
Network Operations