Re: How to setup pppd to use pam?

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Many years ago, I have used pppd with pam authenication and tried it  to
> install it today, but failed...  Now I am searchin since more then three
> hours for the HOWTO, but I do not find it.
>
> Can someone provide me with infos how to setup pppd to use PAM?
[snip]

It's been a long time since I had it setup this way. I know freeradius
can ask local pam for authentication.  As pam usually authenticates to
shadow files, CHAP and anything that requires clear text equivalent of
passwords will not be available.  Some dialup clients may be lost
unless they disable CHAP etc. Eg, use PAP.

It's also been a while since I managed a freeradius machine.  I recall
the config files have this commented and documented pretty well.

HTH,

Scott Edwards