Re: RAID config for mailboxes host

Hello,

Thomas Goirand a écrit (Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 01:59:25AM +0800) :
> You are considering dovecot instead of what? If the other option was
> Courier, don't consider, just do it. Courier is a dog,

Yes, we're currently running Courier on a RAID 10 setup with 15k.

> do 2x a RAID6 array of 6 disks, and use LVM to make it be seen as a
> single array (if you need to do that). This is statistically a safer
> option, plus LVM will add striping

That's interesting. But without doing the maths, I feel that LVM is
statistically the opposite.

> Anyway, I think that 1500 mailboxes is really a low volume,

Sure, but mail is vital for our demanding users.

> and I don't think you need that much of hardware! :)

Too late :-)

Thanks,

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs                       Observatoire de Paris-Meudon
Resp. Réseau/Sécurité                           5 Place Jules Janssen