Re: Cannot initiate the connection to ftp.debian.org:80

Brett Parker wrote:

I'm not sure how you configure to do v4 before v6 though.

One way to do this is to edit "/etc/gai.conf". At least on lenny, it contains the following comment:

#    For sites which prefer IPv4 connections change the last line to
#
#precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100

And indeed, I tried that once as a test and it worked fine -- outbound connections preferred the IPv4 A record result over the IPv6 AAAA record result when both were available.

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/