Re: Weird routing / arp / ppp problem - low upload after debian upgrade [long]

On 08 Dec 16:26, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> Hi,
> After upgrade from old patched etch, my clients cannot browse internet
> anymore  (upload is ok but download not bigger than  few kbps ) - problem
> occurs randomly - other services that use small packets like voip work
> perfectly.

Between that system and the outside world, is there another
router/firewall?

My initial guess would be that you've hit the tcp window scale problem,
you can (quickly) check this by doing:
    sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0

On the box that they're going through - if that works then you've got a
box between that and the internet that doesn't watch the window scaling
flag as it goes past, and therefore mangles packets later on because it
doesn't know that they can get through.

Hope that helps,
--
Brett Parker                     http://www.sommitrealweird.co.uk/
PGP Fingerprint 1A9E C066 EDEE 6746 36CB  BD7F 479E C24F 95C7 1D61