Re: Reducing apache2 config files.

Hello Marc,

Marc Aymerich wrote:
> Hi all!
> In my ISP we have hundreds of virtual hosts like this:

I have no experience with a number like that -- our vhosts per server
are in the tens.

> <VirtualHost 2.2.2.2:80>
>  DocumentRoot /home/pangea/user1/public_html
>  ServerName domain1.org
>  ServerAlias www.domain1.org www.domain2.org domain2.org
>  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/virtual/domain1.org common
>  SuexecUserGroup user1 group1
>  Action php-fcgi /fcgi-bin/php-fcgi-wrapper
>  Alias /fcgi-bin/ /home/httpd/fcgi-bin.d/php5-user1/
>  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/pangea/user1/cgi-bin/
> </VirtualHost>

If the requirements can differ slightly from vhost to vhost you might
also have a look at mod_macro.

It is flexible an works reliable.

The downside compared to a solution that generates a file is that I
don't know of a way to view the configuration with expanded macros
which makes debugging the macros hard.

The downside compared to mod_vhost_alias and mod_rewrite is that you
have to add a configuration line for every vhost -- but for your
example this could be one line.

Regards,
Henrik