Re: RAID1 problem - server freezes on md data-check

micah anderson wrote:
> I have this same problem with the Lenny kernels on certain machines. I
> have not been able to identify anything specific that is identical on
> the machines where this happens yet. Essentially, on these systems, the

here it is the same. the problem introduced with lenny. all our
maschines where this happens are IBM Blades HS20 with IDE, Hardware-Raid
disabled (using md and ext3).

> On these systems I disable the monthly raid check, its not the right
> solution obviously, but it sucks to wake up on Sunday morning to find
> multiple outages due to this scheduled raid check.

thats what we did, too (you are lucky that your monitoring lets you
sleep until the morning :-)).

>> Well, it's even more a pain to have no monthly check at all, and have
>> your drive silently die without a warning. Also, my findings is that
>> most of the time, such lock-up happens only on certain kind of
>> controllers, or with defective (half working) HDD.
>
> I agree silent drive death is bad, but in a raid mirror setup, if one of
> the drives dies, wont you be fine?
>
> I am pretty certain its not a particular type of controller, because I
> have a number of duplicate hardware machines, some have this problem,
> some do not. The 'half working' HDD was my theory as well, but smart
> tests, badblocks doesn't seem to do anything.

I second this. Imho its a problem of the kernel  (resp. some driver). i
hoped this would end with some upgrade, it did not (we're using stock
kernel).

ys
Peter

--
"Wer nichts zu verbergen hat, hat bereits alles verloren"
http://klicklich.at