RE: Dell PowerEdge R300 with BMC5722 NIC (tg3 driver)

Greetings Keith,

[snip]

Are you using a Dell switch as an uplink?  With many of the
Dell switches I placed in service I found issues where the
link dropped from full duplex to half.  To resolve this I
manually set the port speed and duplex; however links then
began to flap and then decommissioning that particular
switchgear as the only other method to resolve was giving
the switch a hard kick when issues only affected a small
number of ports -- OS independent.

What type of link - 10/100 or 10/100/1000?  If the link is
10/100 I've had success manually brining the connection to
100/Full Duplex with mii-tool (check capabilities with
'mii-tool -v' can set using eth0 as your interface 'mii-tool
-F 100baseTx-FD eth0').  With a gig link however I have
found more stability with ethtool (using eth0 again:
'ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off').  The
switch ports might have to be changed from autosense to
specified speed/duplex also depending on your environment.

Can you post information from the switch port -- interface
status; and information from the server - 'ethtool eth0 &&
ethtool -S eth0' // 'mii-tool -v'

Bests,
Christopher Davis