Re: What's the state of client management of server-side mail filters?

Joe Emenaker wrote:
> Gilles Mocellin wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:01:48PM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
>> [...]
>>> So, I guess the question is: Does anybody know of an initiative like this?
>> Yes, look at sieve.
>> Cyrus Imap support sieve, dovecot too.
>> There is a Thunderbird extension.
> Ooooh, nice! That's pretty much what I had in mind (although the
> Thunderbird plugin seems like it's just a text editor, and not
> integrated with a nifty GUI that would, say, ensure that you don't try
> to create a rule that directs mail to a folder which doesn't exist). Now
> if only qmail would support it. (sigh)....

Sieve is very awesome, especially if you have more than one location you
use IMAP at (for me it's home, office, phone, rolling cart computer, and
webmail). I stopped using client side filters a long time ago and never
looked back.

Horde, RoundCube and SquirrelMail have visual editors for sieve. T-bird,
unfortunately, does not and the plugin is just a managesieve interface
that lets you write and manage scripts. The others hide the managesieve,
but it's all the same deal server side. At least under Dovecot if you
created a rule to a nonexistent folder it'll just create it and
optionally auto-subscribe to it.