Re: Solid State Hard Drives

On 09/10/2009, at 1:06 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:

Am 2009-10-08 11:06:39, schrieb Glenn Hocking:
Had anyone had experience using Solid State Hard disks in mail servers? I've heard that Solid State is very fast but not good for high read/ write
functions such as mail servers as the drives wear out over time.

I can not believe, that a 128 GByte SSD is FASTER then a 147 GByte SAS
and the SAS cost me 230 Euro (my price as ISP), the SSD over 400...

And why not?

The change on the laptops I have seen is IMMENSE.

I would imagine SSDs are unbelievable on anything that requires random access. If you are only streaming data off the disks, then I wouldn't bother - but for something like a database or the spool folder of a busy mail server - I couldn't
imagine how anything could be quicker (other than a RAM disk).

I would be interested in any long term stress tests on the SLC disks.

Even if they only last 12 months - they are a LOT cheaper than trying to use a storage
system to get that sort of performance.

Regards

Andrew