Re: Why didn't software RAID detect a faulty drive?

also sprach Seth Mattinen <sethm@rollernet.us> [2009.07.19.2052 +0200]:
> My guess is that the kernel was masking it. A hardware array
> controller will see it directly since it's not relying on
> intermediate layers and kick it out of the array. There's
> absolutely no reason to keep a slow to respond drive in an array
> even if it's not throwing errors. This is one situation where
> a hardware array has a distinct advantage.

I agree, and I have forwarded your issue to upstream. However, for
better results, I suggest you take your issue to
linux-raid@vger.kernel.org (and CC me). Upstream will prefer to
respond there.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"i am not in favour of long engagements. they give people the
 opportunity of finding out each other's character before marriage,
 which i think is never advisable."
                                                        -- oscar wilde