Re: How to setup a PPPoE Server?

Hi Michelle,

You would have to check hardware compatibility with the NIC and FreeBSD.
We only have 350 users, but we complicate things by running 30 VLANS on the one NIC with separate pppoe server instances for each.

We had issues with the number of network interfaces running at one time with FreeBSD 5. It seemed to max out at 254 interfaces tho no mention of that being a limit anywhere.

We currently run FreeBSD 6.2 which will run fine with more that 254 interfaces active. Occasionally the server reboots, it doesnt seem to be related to load, we havent isolated the cause, but it doesnt do any harm, the server is back within a minute. Not what you want to hear tho.

Andrew Bevin
The Packing Shed Limited
www.packingshed.co.nz
ph: 0800323002