Testing apache1.3 and apache2 in parallel with PHP

Our web-hosting service is still on apache1.3, but we've decide it's finally time to switch to apache2.

We would like to have both apache daemons running in parallel for a while to test out the setup. I have apache1.3 still listening on port 80; apache2 listens on a different port for testing purposes.

Several users use PHP. By default, PHP is disabled. The user enables it on a per-directory basis using php_flag engine on.

I understand php_flag is not supported in apache2, and thus it won't serve content from any directory where that instruction is in the .htaccess file. I haven't been able to figure out how to duplicate the setup we have with apache2--namely, PHP disabled by default, by overriden on a per-directory basis. I've tried php_value engine 1, but that doesn't seem to work. In any event, I'm concerned anything I do to make the htaccess files compatible with apache2 will break compatibility with apache1.3, so I won't be able to have everything running in parallel for testing.

Two questions:

(1) How do disable PHP globally but enable per-directory in .htaccess for apache2? (2) Any way to do #1 that will allow things to continue to work as before in apache1.3?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Adam