Re: sarge 32bit --> lenny 64bit upgrade

Marek Podmaka wrote:

> I have one server which is still running sarge (because of
> mysql-server 4.0). I want to upgrade it, but also want to add more
> memory (4GB in total), so I would like to have 64bit version
> installed.

Keep in mind that you don't always need 64 bit just because you have more than 4 GB of memory. You can use a 32-bit "-bigmem" kernel in some cases.

Using a -bigmem kernel means that all the processes together can use the entire RAM, but each individual process can only access between 3-4 GB. That may not be sufficient if you're running a huge database that requires lots of memory dedicated to a single MySQL process, for example, but it does work if you're using the RAM for lots of smaller processes (such as a server running zillions of Apache processes or POP/IMAP/SMTP processes).

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/