Re: of backports and dist-upgrade

Keith Edmunds schrieb:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:25:57 +0200, S.Klein@pictura-dp.nl said:
>
>> It will be upgraded to the Lenny version because 0.11.1-2~bpo40+1 is a
>> lower version number than 0.11.1-2. That's what the '~' is for.
>
> True, but if you do automated updates, be careful - some of the Sarge
> backports were later upgrade to post-Etch package versions, which caused
> some problems for people who migrated Sarge->Etch some time after Etch's
> release. (IMO, backports should NOT do that, but they did and, so far as I
> know, they have not said they won't do the same in future).

This is an interesting information. I guess it means if you have debian
version N installed, as soon as version N+1 is released, you have to
uncomment backports from your sources list if you don't want to get
packages from N+2.

Well although it can be cumbersome for the sysadmin, I understand this
makes sense from backports point of view. Backports aims at bringing
packages from testing to stable or oldstable, and the meaning of testing
changes after each stable release.

I think I will also evaluate pkgsrc from NetBSD for my backports needs,
so i am sure it will not mess with debian packages.

--

openForce Information Technology GesmbH
http://www.openforce.com/