Re: Jabber Server Selection

On Aug 25, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Ing. Otto Marroquin wrote:

Hi people,

We are about to install a Jabber server.   We have chosen ejabberd.
The factors we judge were:
1.  Stardards compliant

ASCII text and "wall" is a standard too. LOL. Standards change. It won't matter in a year or two, maybe three at the most.

2.  Community Support

So you're hoping someone else will fix your problems when they arise?

3. Proven interoperatibility among the major IM servers (MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk)

Why not just use those then?

4. Virtual host support (because we are planning to use it for several clients).

Anything can run on a virtual host that will run in the original OS. Not sure what you're concerned about here.

5.  Easy and secure web administration.

Finally, a real requirement!

Have somebody installed a Jabber Server recently ?

Not recently, but in the past.

What do you think about our selection ?

I think the criteria is weak.  How about:

- Must meet our business goals of low cost, including time spent by IT staff to install, upgrade, test and deploy. Must not cost more than X number of man-hours and dollars to implement. - Must have PROFESSIONAL support available. (Community support? Are you running a business or a wishful-thinking IT shop?) - Must also be loggable under any current corporate monitoring policy we've already set forth. (Especially if you fall under HIPAA or other financial-services rules for accounting and accountability of electronic communications. - Must be installable easily by any idiot if it gets messed up. (Good installer. Self-service by end-users.) - Must meet six-nines uptime requirements as all of our systems do by policy we've already published internally. (You do have an uptime policy, right?) - Must be able to communicate with all key clients and customers (if that's a requirement) and between all internal staff. - Proven business need is documented in X document, showing the company will make/save X number of dollars if we spend our time on this project.

Those are just some examples of "must haves" -- other "want to haves" are gravy.

Work on those business/IT goals a bit.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com