Re: Xen question

kchr-list-debian@rac.nu wrote:
> Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>
>> kchr-list-debian@rac.nu schreef:

>>> These directives are related to the states of your virtual machines, not
>>> the dom0. "on_poweroff" is declaring what should happen to the VM when
>>> you choose to power it off, not what happens when you shutdown dom0.
>> I have tried it and I use now:   on_poweroff = 'restart'
>>
>> I expect that when I have a powerloss and the server comes up again, the
>> virtual machines are restarting now, but I have not tested it.
>> With  on_poweroff = 'destroy'  this was not the case.
>
> Basically, what "on_poweroff = 'restart'" does is just to restart the VM
> if you choose to shut it down through the VM OS. It has nothing to do
> with the fact that your VMs aren't booting automatically if your host
> (dom0) has a power outage.
>
> Regards,
> Kim

Correct, and the fact that your VMs are booting or not when your dom0
boots is controled via /etc/init.d/xendomains and the /etc/xen/auto
folder. What you should do is a symlink of /etc/xen/my-xen-startup-file
to /etc/xen/auto/my-xen-startup-file, that's the most easy way. Also, if
using Xen from source and not from Debian package, you should, after the
make install, do:

update-rc.d xend defaults 20 21
update-rc.d xendomains defaults 21 20

as xend should start before xendomains.