Re: SAN solution wanted

Ummmm. we use...

Debian lenny
software raid
drbd
HA cluster software
nfs/ext3 and iscsi

Whats wrong with that? Other than a recent migration away from XFS it works like a champ.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Jean-Paul Blaquiere <jeanpaul@blaquiere.id.au> wrote:
It seems you are talking about a particular vendor, and then haven't
named them ;)

I have had some little experience attempting to get low end IBM kit
working with Debian and RedHat.  It was not much fun.  The less crap IBM
kit, was however, much easier.
Do not attempt anything with the DS3400 (SAS).  It has brain dead
controllers.
The DS4300 and DS4700 series kit (FC), however, much less pain.
In particular, multipath-tools work rather well.

What kind of price range are you looking in?

./jp

> On Jun 10, Christian Kujau illuminated :

> Hi there,
>
> I'm looking for an affordable SAN solution for a small network.
> Although I can parse the offers on the intertubes, I often fail to see if
> they're fully supported under linux (ia32, soon x86_64) and that their
> fw-400/800 port is really just "firewire" not some crippled socket only
> their windows-only driver could bring to life.
>
> In short: does anybody have a bit of experience to share regarding these
> SAN devices?
>
> And I think I really need SAN, because with NAS I'm bound to their NFS/CIFS
> implementation and I could not easily encrypt the data with e.g.
> dm-crypt/LUKS.
>
> TIA,
> C.
> --
> BOFH excuse #197:
>
> I'm sorry a pentium won't do, you need an SGI to connect with us.
>

> --

Jean-Paul Blaquiere
 jeanpaul@blaquiere.id.au
 http://www.blaquiere.id.au