Re: Fastcgi or apache-mpm-itk?

Hi Kim,

> You could always use open_basedir() to restrict file system operations.
>
> http://www.php.net/features.safe-mode
>
> That way you can make sure that your users won't be able to access files
> outside of their home directory, but not forcing them to rewrite their
> scripts because of a chroot().
>
> However, this has been removed in PHP 6...

Thx for your reply but I guess you didn't get the point I was aiming
at: The idea is indeed not to force customers to rewrite their
code  -> in the case we decide to rearange the directory structure
for whatever reasons (failover could be one) . With the (badly
broken) safemode and open_basedir this is what you exactly do *not*
get. All you get is problems all over the place (with so-called
safemode I remember not being able to write files in
/var/www/domain/htdocs/ with while useing '.' worked fine although
both pointed to the same dir... but this might not be the place to
discuss PHP problems ;-)

I was looking for a solution to have the users see, say, '/www' as
their document root, mapping this to some diretory of my choice.
Mainly not as a security measure but for more system administration
flexibility.

Thx anyway,
Norbert